日本夏2026年 - Day 1 Tokyo to Hakone
May 30, 2026
Day 1 Tokyo to Hakone - 108 Km
Start 7:12 AM
Finish 5:18 PM
Total Duration 10:06
Moving Time 5:54
Stopped Time 4:12
Ascent 630m
Descent 576m
Tour Total 250 Km
Details at: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/386866859
Saison didn’t open until seven, so I got a slightly later start than planned. The sun was already intense, and I pulled on arm sleeves for protection. I’d woken in the middle of the night, still not fully adjusted to the time change.
Heading west out of Tokyo, I crossed a broad bridge over the Tama River under a cloudless sky. In the distance, Mount Fuji hovered faint but unmistakable on the horizon. The route zigzagged through a mix of wide boulevards and narrow neighborhood streets before bringing me across the Tsurumi River, where I picked up a levee path and rode south.
I passed through Yokohama and detoured to visit my Brooklyn neighbors, Naomi and Masahiko, who were staying at their home just east of the city center. Naomi prepared a wonderful meal and mentioned that a large typhoon was on its way. A quick look at the forecast confirmed it—things could get rough in the coming days.
From there, I followed a beautiful cycling road along the Sakaigawa River toward Kamakura. The Great Buddha was, as expected, packed with tourists, though I was able to park my bike right at the entrance. I paid a bit extra to step inside the statue, where you can see how the massive bronze structure was assembled from within.
Soon after, I found myself riding along the Pacific coast. The ocean shimmered turquoise, dotted with kite surfers, while people strolled along the beach. Traffic along the road was heavy and relentless, but the view ahead made up for it—Mount Fuji stood clearly in the distance, its summit still dusted with snow.
I continued on to Enoshima Island, just as crowded as Naomi had warned. A long bridge carried me out to the island, where a steep, winding path led past several important shrines. Tourists packed the walkways, snacking and browsing souvenirs.
I stopped at a local burger spot for a cheeseburger, fries, and a Coke, then got back on the bike, eager to rack up more kilometers along the Pacific Coast Cycling Road. In Chigasaki, I passed a lively beach festival before pushing inland.
That evening, I arrived in Hakone, where I met up with Diego, an old friend from New York, along with his girlfriend Akiko. We spent the night sharing sashimi, broiled salmon, salad, and plenty of beer—a perfect end to a long, sun-soaked day.
![]() |
| My Brooklyn neighbors have a place in Yokohama |
![]() |
| Kamakura Buddah |



Comments
Post a Comment